Browsing the ESCIS categories will show you the kinds of organisations and services we aim to include. Generally, ESCIS covers Business Advice, Community and Voluntary Sector, Education, Local Council Services, Health, Leisure and Sport, Support and Advice, Tourism, Transport and Environment.
Inclusion Criteria is based on:
- local relevance
- likelihood of enquiry
- difficulty of finding the information elsewhere
- geographically based in East Sussex and Brighton & Hove
ESCIS will not include information from:
- Commercial, profit-making organisations, businesses and services, unless they offer services for the benefit of the public / community as a whole, have a strong health or leisure aspect, or cannot easily be found through other directories and advertisements.
- Organisations outside East Sussex, Brighton and Hove. Local branches of national or international organisations are included. We will include national information if there is no other relevant local information available (such as national helplines).
- Organisations who do not provide enough contact information. Because of limited resources, we only include organisations or services that include an email or postal address for our updating process. Telephone numbers can be made available for the public but we need an email or postal address, which can be kept confidentially if desired, solely for our updating purposes.
ESCIS reserves the right to decide on a ‘case by case’ basis whether or not an Organisation can be included in the database.
ESCIS will not include information which:
- is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libellous, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, or otherwise objectionable or harms minors in any way.
- impersonates any person or entity.
- infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other rights of any party.
As a representative of an Organisation, you agree to:
- provide true, accurate, current and complete information about your organisation as prompted by ESCIS organisation update forms and email reminders.
- respond to communications from ESCIS within the deadlines given in correspondence.
- obtain consent from other members and officials of your organisation in order for their details to be published on the internet and in the hardcopy directories.
Please note that ESCIS is intended to be a ‘signposting’ service for the general public. There is a limited amount of space for ‘further information’ about organisations – a maximum of 50 words. For this reason, if an organisation sends us a leaflet instead of completing an update form we may not be able to include all of the information printed in the leaflet.
We reserve the right to edit and amend the information given to ESCIS where necessary and to change the categories in which the information is kept.
If you provide any information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or ESCIS has reasonable grounds to suspect that such information is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, ESCIS has the right to remove or amend it.
You acknowledge and agree that ESCIS may disclose information in the following circumstances:
- for the purpose of properly administering your details in accordance with the operating procedures of ESCIS.
- if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that any such preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with legal process.
- respond to claims that any content violates the rights of third-parties.
- protect the rights, property, or personal safety of ESCIS its users and the public.
Data Protection Act
Library and Information Services, East Sussex County Council is registered under the Data Protection Act. Information held on computer is available for inspection by any member of the public.
Dated, printed information directly produced by a group (flyer, annual report, newsletter, website etc) is taken as a direct notification for all public purposes and therefore quotable to update current entries without further checks. However, we will notify organisations to ask permission to create new entries.
If we receive an update form which is unsigned but shows information to be added, amended or confirmed, we will take this as your unambiguous consent to use the data.
Deletion of Organisations
Once an entry becomes 12 months old, we attempt to contact a member of the organisation two times in order to update the entry. We will contact the organisation by email or post at 12 months and again at 15 months. If the entry becomes 18 months old we archive the entry and it is not visible to the public.