Browsing the ESCIS categories will show you the kinds of organisations and services we aim to include. Generally, ESCIS covers Business Advice, Community and Voluntary Sector, Education, Local Council Services, Health, Leisure and Sport, Support and Advice, Tourism, Transport and Environment.
Inclusion Criteria is based on:
- local relevance
- likelihood of enquiry
- difficulty of finding the information elsewhere
- geographically based in East Sussex and Brighton and Hove
ESCIS will not include information from:
- Commercial, profit-making organisations, businesses and services, unless they offer services for the benefit of the public/community as a whole, have a strong health or leisure aspect, or cannot easily be found through other directories and advertisements.
- Organisations outside East Sussex and Brighton and Hove. Local branches of national or international organisations may be included. We will include national information if there is no other relevant local information available (such as national helplines).
- Third parties e.g. marketing companies.
- Organisations who do not provide enough contact information. We only include organisations or services that include an email or postal address for our updating process.
ESCIS reserves the right to decide on a ‘case by case’ basis whether or not an organisation can be included in the database.
ESCIS will not include information which:
- is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libellous, invasive of privacy, hateful, or otherwise objectionable or harms minors in any way.
- impersonates any person or entity.
- infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other rights of any party.
As a representative of an organisation, you agree to:
- provide true, accurate, current and complete information about your organisation.
- respond to communications from ESCIS within the deadlines given in correspondence.
- obtain consent from other members and officials of your organisation in order for their details to be published on the internet.
If an organisation provides a leaflet we may not be able to include all of the information printed in the leaflet.
We reserve the right to edit and amend the information given to ESCIS.
If you provide any information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or ESCIS has reasonable grounds to suspect that such information is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, ESCIS has the right to remove or amend it.
You acknowledge and agree that ESCIS may disclose information in the following circumstances:
- for the purpose of properly administering your details in accordance with the operating procedures of ESCIS.
- if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that any such preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with legal process.
- respond to claims that any content violates the rights of third-parties.
- protect the rights, property, or personal safety of ESCIS its users and the public.
Data Protection and Privacy Notice
The Library and Information Service of East Sussex County Council is registered under the Data Protection Act. You can view the ESCIS Privacy Notice on the East Sussex County Council website.